Write On! is More Than SAT’s writing program designed for late elementary and middle school students. We believe that every student is full of ideas and imaginations. Through a four-lesson cycle, our program helps the students to bring them out in more effective, tangible, and creative ways in three stages:
Stage 1: Writing with Imagination + Writing with Ease
The best way to become writers is to simply write and write more often. Instead of worrying about deadlines, grades, and scrutiny, students will have a chance to brainstorm, write, and create to convey their imaginations and ideas.
Each student will have a Writing Journal in which they will practice capturing their thoughts on paper. This journal will become a source of inspiration for years to come, while they build good habits that support their writing in various genres. The Writing Journal will also be used by our teachers and editors to further create, edit, and revise their written pieces through a professional process.
Stage 2: Writing with Writers + Writing with Clarity
Children best learn crafts or skills through good examples within a supportive community. The Write On! writing process provides children many opportunities to keep revising and improving their writing through meaningful feedback. Students will also have opportunities to learn from other great writers their own age. By reading, reinterpreting, or remixing exemplary writings, students can raise their own quality of writing.
Stage 3: Writing with Skill + Writing with Purpose
Our writing students write for a purpose with skill and quality. They have an audience. When the students’ written pieces are complete, they will be published in a monthly Online Newsletter to share with friends and family. Additionally, students will add their final masterpiece to their own Writer Portfolio.
Just as students learn best within a community of peers and supporters, students will also celebrate their work with others. We will have a quarterly celebration where participating students can present their writings through various media to their families, friends, and guests. The hope of our celebration is to connect with others, including their peers, families, or friends-to-be.
Students Will Need:
- Laptop, Chromebook, or iPad (must have a keyboard) equipped with Google Doc capabilities
- Student Portfolio (provided by MTSAT)
- Student Writing Journal (provided by MTSAT)
- Gmail address to access Google Docs (we can help parents set this up for their students)
Four Sessions per Learning Cycle:
- SESSION 1: Brainstorm to first draft
- SESSION 2: Drafts (Revising/Improving your pieces)
- SESSION 3: Drafts (Revising/Improving your pieces)
- SESSION 4: Finalizing/Sharing/Celebrating!
- We also will be offering add-on programs, workshops, or seminars for students and/or parents. More details will be given to participants.
- Some planned add-on program topics will include:
- Effective study skills
- Presentation skills (public speaking and presenting)
- Digital literacy & citizenship and internet safety seminar for children
- Creating art or digital storytelling to support your writing
- Grammar review
- Please email WriteOn@morethansat.com for more information or to join the mailing list.
- Please call our Write On! Director, Jenny Chang, at (773) 306-9655 for more information.
- Register using this form.